Attention all Administrators, Professors, and Science Department Chairs: Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL), Office of Educational Programs (OEP) seeks applicants who are women and underrepresented minorities in STEM for the Workforce Development for Teachers and Scientists (WDTS) Mini-Semester Program.
We solicit your assistance in recommending highly qualified students for the program. To help ensure a smooth application and selection process, we recommend that you assist recommended students in meeting the necessary deadlines. Please feel free to contact Salvador A. Gonzalez (contact information at bottom) if you have any questions regarding the program.
Selected students are invited to participate in a five-day in-person program (pending approval of onsite programs) developed to introduce participants to the science being done at BNL. The 2022 College Mini-Semester program will be held January 3-7, 2022. Participation in the program is limited to 45 qualified students. Please Note: The 2022 Mini-Semester is being planned to be hosted onsite, however, due to the COVID 19 restriction, it may be virtual. We will inform all accepted students of the way we will conduct the program prior to the start date.
This program is designed for women and underrepresented minorities in STEM. As per the Department of Energy, underrepresented minorities include Hispanics, African Americans, and Indigenous peoples (http://energy.gov/articles/introducing-minorities-energy-initiative). Applicants must be U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents and enrolled full time at their college/university. Eligible students must be majoring in a STEM discipline and have demonstrated strong abilities and interest in STEM. A minimum GPA of 3.0 is required.
Winter Program 1/3-7/2022 | Application Deadline: 11/19/2021
The program will be conducted by BNL researchers and will operate from 8:30 AM-5:00 PM Eastern Time for five days.
It will expose students to the wide range of research projects conducted at BNL, help them to understand different pathways to scientific careers, and develop networking opportunities with the BNL scientific community and Laboratory administrators. The program format will include orientation, classroom instruction in scientific computing, tours of research facilities, BNL based literature research assignments, interviews with scientists and engineers, group oral presentations, scientific lectures, and safety overviews. First-hand reinforcement of concepts learned will be supported and enhanced by BNL researchers and technical staff.
Students accepted into the 2022 Mini-Semester will be required to complete a WDTS DOE internship application for summer 2022.
Housing, Transportation, and Food
(Pending approval of onsite programs) BNL will make housing and travel reservations for accepted candidates. Only lunch will be provided, other meals will the responsibility of the selected students.
- Please distribute the following link to your qualified candidates https://surveys.external.bnl.gov/n/WDTSMiniSemesterApplication.aspx
- Students must complete an essay identifying three (3) BNL scientists, their research areas and why the student is interested in those scientist and research areas.
- Students must provide a faculty recommendation. Upon completion of their application the student will receive a unique link that they will then forward to their selected faculty recommender. Only one recommendation is needed.
- Students that are accepted into the program will then have to complete additional OEP requirements (such as completing the 2022 DOE summer internship application) as directed. Students that do not complete all OEP requirements on time will be disqualified from the program.
Application Deadline: November 19, 2021
Recommendation Deadline: November 19, 2021
Student Notification By: November 22, 2021
Other DOE Internship Opportunities
We are also proud to host internship opportunities for undergraduate students in our Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internship (SULI) and the Community College Internship (CCI). Both offer a longer-term research internship, 10 weeks in summer and 16 weeks in fall and spring. These opportunities are open to all students. We highly encourage all your recommended students to apply to the appropriate internship opportunities.
- SULI (4-year college/universities) please visit: https://science.osti.gov/wdts/suli/How-to-Apply | Note that the 2022 summer internship deadline is on January 12, 2022
- CCI (community colleges) visit: https://science.osti.gov/wdts/cci/How-to-Apply
Salvador A. Gonzalez
Office of Educational Programs
Brookhaven National Laboratory